19 May 2014

Peopleton

Two partner two in people square,
four step to rouse a jingling sound,
while brandishing lean leg of chair.

Firm fists rise fast through winter air,
feet pummel pattered pavement ground,
two partner two in people square.

Green blue rags flurry with fine flair,
as all ring out and ring around,
while brandishing lean leg of chair.

Band blasting cues return to pair,
both sweeping sticks in punching pound,
two partner two in people square.

Game feathers gleam in sunshine stare,
and startle at each bending bound
while brandishing lean leg of chair.

Thus Peopleton at Cotswold fair,
a dance to charm and to astound:
two partner two in people square,
while brandishing lean leg of chair.

* * *

This is the final piece in my mini-series of poems inspired by Happenstance at the Cheltenham Folk Festival.

The form is known as a villanelle, or villanesque. I prefer ‘villanelle’ because of all the lllls. A villanelle consists of 19 lines, five verses of three lines each and a final verse of four lines. The first and third line of the first verse repeat throughout the poem, as the last line of subsequent verses of three lines, and as the last two lines of the last verse.

As with Isbourne, I hear this poem in iambic tetrameter. The rhyme scheme is ABA until the last verse, ABAA. I found it essential to pick words that have a lot of rhymes, so I didn’t run out of possibilities!

Wikipedia explains that ‘villanelle’ comes from Italian ‘villanella’, ‘a rustic song or dance’ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanelle). Of course, Peopleton is a town, but I nod to rustic matters with my ‘lean leg of chair’. I chose this form as the choreography of the dance reminds me of the choreography of the poem. I’m not sure whether I’m making sense at present, so please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of further assistance. (P-i-R has been working a little hard lately.)



<(:-)